Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Review: Educating Rose


My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Oh where to start....

First - it's a super short story, so I get that there isn't a whole lot of time for character development. BUT.....there needed to be some in order for me to even care about these characters. (Honestly, I really didn't care for either of them.)

I'm always torn when I read books with a BDSM theme. I'm torn between finding it kind of hot - and incredibly offensive. The hot part is the spanking and the tying up. The offensive part is the whole "you're mine; I own you; I'll share you with others if I feel like it; now put on this collar and let me lead you around like a dog." Um, no. Not hot....not sexy. AT ALL. (I know there are some that are into that. I'm not judging. I'm just saying - for me - it's a no go.)

Rose is a virgin librarian who has basically stalked Professor Jack since she was a college student. She wants him.....bad.....but he is out of the lifestyle. But he finds he can't resist Rose, so he comes back to the lifestyle. For her. And over a weekend, they become a Dom/sub pair. Sound vague? Yes, it was. The whole relationship needed to be explored more. The whole reason of WHY Rose was so obsessed with Jack and why Jack turned away from the lifestyle. Ok, yes....so it was VERY BRIEFLY explained during the course of the story - but not enough to where it made sense.....not enough to make me care about these people.

I still love Lissa Matthews' writing, even if I wasn't all that impressed with this particular book.

Solid 4 stars for the writing - 2.5 stars for content. Average rating of 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment